This Olive Oil Cake Bursts Bright with Lemon and the Sweet Herbal Note of Fresh Basil. A Dense but Extremely Tender and Moist Cake with its center filled with an Easy Homemade Lemon Curd. No frosting needed as this cake pairs perfectly with a Dollop of Whipped Honeyed Lemon Ricotta!
CANDIED LEMON SLICES
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar plus more for dusting
- 1 cup (240 grams) water
- 1 lemon, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (180 grams) water
- 3 egg (60 grams) yolks
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons (48 grams) lemon juice
LEMON BASIL CAKE
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) Kosher salt
- 2 large (110 grams) eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temp
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons (24 grams) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (5 grams) lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
HONEY LEMON RICOTTA
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (83 grams) ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon (21 grams) honey
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) lemon zest
- CANDIED LEMON SLICES: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, bring sugar and water to a boil then, decrease heat to medium-low.
- Carefully lay slices in a single layer at the bottom of the pan. Cook until slices become translucent, about 10 to 12 minutes. Once ready, remove pan from heat. Using tongs, grab each slice and lay onto the prepared baking sheet. Generously coat both sides with additional sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and let it stand overnight to harden. For a softer and pliable slice, wait 1 to 2 hours to dry before serving.
- CURD: In a small saucepan, whisk sugar and cornstarch together. Mix in water and egg yolks until no lumps remain. Bring mixture to a boil and continue to stir until it begins to thicken. Cook for 1 minute then, remove from heat.
- Whisk in lemon zest and juice until curd becomes uniform in texture, about 2-3 minutes. No straining is necessary.
- Transfer curd to a dry bowl and refrigerate uncovered for 20 minutes. Once removed, stir one time before filling the cake.
- CAKE: Heat oven to 350F (175C). Grease and flour the bottom and sides of an 8 inch (20 cm) springform pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a bowl attached to a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment on medium to high speed, beat eggs, oil and sugar until thick and pale yellow, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in melted butter, basil, lemon juice and lemon zest until just combined.
- With the stand mixer on low speed, gradually add in flour mixture and continue to mix until just combined. Stir in sour cream. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon half the batter evenly into the springform pan. Spoon curd evenly over the batter, spreading just up to 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) from the edge. Drop spoon the remaining cake batter starting from the edge of the curd working towards the center. Use an angled spatula to evenly spread batter towards the center of the cake to cover the curd.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the center is set and the cake is golden. Center of the cake may sink slightly or have very small cracks, this is normal. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before releasing the spring and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cake may be stored in the fridge.
- HONEY LEMON RICOTTA: In a deep bowl using an immersion blender, mix heavy cream, ricotta, honey and lemon zest together until smooth. Volume should double. Dollop whipped ricotta onto the cooled cake. Lay candied lemon slices on top and pipe any remaining curd for additional flavor and flare. Slice and ENJOY!
- I apologize I was unable to weigh the basil and curd in grams. The battery of my digital scale died. Once I am able to, I will update this recipe with those amounts.
- Although it appears to be many ingredients in this recipe, many are repeats separated into 4 major components to the overall cake: candied lemons, lemon curd, lemon cake, and honeyed ricotta.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: olive oil cake, lemon basil, honey ricotta