LEMON LIME BARS
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh Key lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced into half-moons (optional)
- 1/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 – 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
LEMON LIME BARS
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil leaving excess foil hang over two opposite sides for easy removal.
- In a small bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Note: use the back of a measuring cup to firmly press crumbs together.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until dry and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow crust to cool in pan over a wire rack. Leave oven on.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, whisk egg yolks, 1 ½ teaspoon lime zest, and lemon zest on high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add condensed milk in a slow, steady stream, continue mixing. Increase speed to high and mix until thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add both lime and lemon juice and continue to mix until just combined. Using an angled spatula, spread filling evenly over crust.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until filling is just set. Allow to cool completely over a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- In a large chilled bowl using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar together until soft peaks form. Taste, add an additional tablespoon of powdered sugar if needed and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream over each bar or fill a piping bag fitted with a closed star tip (I used Wilton’s 1B). Garnish bars with remaining ½ teaspoon lime zest lemon half-moons over whipped cream. ENJOY!