Switch your typical Breakfast sandwich with a Sweet and Savory Cornbread made with Maple Sausage and Gouda Style Cheese!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup light sour cream*
- 1/2 cup skim milk*
- 8 maple precooked sausage links, thawed and diced
- maple syrup, for drizzling (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 1 large skillet or 3 mini skillets with baking spray with or without flour; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cheese together; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thickened, about 2 minutes. Beat in butter, sour cream and milk.
- Gradually pour flour mixture into the wet ingredients and fold batter until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in diced sausage.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Be sure to not poke through sausage as this could give you a false result.
- Allow skillet(s) to cool over a wire rack to room temperature. Once cooled, pour maple syrup, if desired. ENJOY! For best results, serve warm.
*Full fat ingredients may be substituted.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes