Delicate and luscious Lemon Lavender Scones uses meyer lemons for an ultimate soft flavor along with dried lavender buds. Flaky and buttery, easy to make and is the perfect springtime pastry for Easter, Mother’s Day, or just because.
MEYER LEMON LAVENDER SCONES
- 1/4 cup (48 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon culinary grade dried lavender
- 1 3/4 cups (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) meyer lemon zest
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) unsalted butter, chilled and sliced
- 1 large egg (50 grams), beaten
- 4 to 6 tablespoons (60 to 90 grams) heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) coarse sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) milk
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons culinary grade dried lavender
- 2 to 3 cups (230 to 345 grams) powdered sugar
- SCONES: Heat oven to 400°F (205°C). Leave an ungreased baking sheet to the side.
- In a food processor on low to medium speed, process the sugar and lavender until the lavender has broken down into smaller pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar-lavender, flour, lemon zest, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter until crumbs form to the size of peas. Pour in the beaten egg and stir until a loose shaggy dough begins to form. Be sure to not overmix.
- Gradually mix in 1 tablespoon of heavy cream at a time until a dough forms and is able to leave the sides of the bowl. Within the bowl or on a floured surface, knead dough about 10 times. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten dough into the shape of a square and about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) thick. Glaze the top with additional heavy cream and sprinkle coarse sugar. Using a bench scraper or knife, cut into the unbaked scones to perforate into your desired shape. Do not separate.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Run a knife through the wedges once more and separate to cool.
- GLAZE: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk and butter until steam begins to form, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the lavender. Cover and steep for 5 minutes. Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the milk and discard the lavender. Stir in 2 cups of powdered sugar. If the glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Best served warm.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon lavender, meyer lemon scones, lemon lavender scones, edible lavender buds, edible lavender, culinary grade lavender