Layers of Moist Pumpkin Cake are slathered with and an Easy to Make Homemade Marshmallow Frosting, Silky Chocolate Ganache and Browned Butter Graham Cracker Crumbs. It’s ooey gooey, melty goodness with a feel of the Fall season all in one!
- 2 1/2 cups (310 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (330 grams) pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (6 oz or 170 grams) semisweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) heavy cream
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
- 7 tablespoons (100 grams) salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) Graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) brown sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Large toasted marshmallows (optional)
- PUMPKIN CAKE: Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Evenly spray the bottom and sides of three (3) 6-inch round baking pans with baking spray with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, salt, cloves and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a bowl fitted to an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat on medium to high speed eggs while gradually adding granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla until just combined.
- While the electric mixer ON, slowly add in the flour mixture alternating with oil beginning and ending with flour mixture. Continue to mix on low to medium speed until just combined. Divide batter equally between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry with a few crumbs. Leave cakes in pan to rest for 10 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature. FASTER: while prepping the remaining ingredients for decorating/filling the cakes, place cakes in the fridge until ready to use.
- GANACHE: Meanwhile, place heavy cream in a 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Continue to heat heavy cream until a light simmer begins. Do not boil. Remove from heat and pour cream over chocolate. Gently stir until all chocolate has melted.
- Divide liquid ganache into 2 equal parts. Allow one part to chill in the fridge until slightly firm; this will be used as the filling. Set the other part to the side to cool to room temperature; this will be used as the poured ganache over the cake.
- CRUMBS: In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt salted butter until it becomes a dark golden brown color with a nutty aroma, about 5 to 7 minutes. Note: if using softened butter, browning will occur much faster, within 3 to 5 minutes.
- Quickly and carefully transfer browned butter to a medium bowl. Mix in graham cracker crumbs and sugar; set aside. Should resemble a wet to dry sand.
- MARSHMALLOW FROSTING: Fill half a 2-quart saucepan with water and set over medium-high heat. Once water begins to simmer, place a heat-proof bowl over saucepan. Add egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar; whisk until combined and sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Transfer egg white mixture into a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat mixture until it becomes white and soft peaks form. Add vanilla. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- ASSEMBLY: Spread chilled ganache filling over the top of cake layer #1. Do not allow ganache to spread over the sides of the cake. Sprinkle crumbs over the ganache and gently spread a thin layer of marshmallow frosting on top. If marshmallow frosting spills over the sides of the cake, this is okay. Repeat for cake layer #2. Begin stacking starting with cake layer #1 on the bottom, place cake layer #2 on top and lastly place cake layer #3 above #2.
- Using an angled spatula, generously but evenly spread frosting around the top and sides of the stacked cake. If a “naked” cake design is desired, use less frosting. Scrape any excess frosting using a bench scraper or a large angled spatula. Chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Once room-temp ganache is set in a pourable state and cakes are chilled, evenly pour ganache over the top. Spread ganache to flow over the sides of the cake. Generously sprinkle crumbs. Arrange toasted marshmallows above the cake. Slice and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: S'mores cake, Pumpkin Cake, Fall baking