A delectably savory pasta dish with a unique flavor of tomato sauce over succulent dark chicken making this meal, unforgettable!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound (1 box) Barilla spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons achiote paste
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 ½ pounds chicken thighs and legs
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon adobo
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 7.5 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup oat milk or whole milk
- 3 bay leaves
- 6–8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- parmesan cheese, grated for garnishing (optional)
- Fill a large pot half full with water over high heat, add oil, cover and set to boil. Once boiling, add spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot over medium-high heat, add butter and achiote. Sauté onions and tomatoes until onions become translucent and tomatoes break down.
- Add chicken, garlic, adobo, salt and pepper, cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked in its center. Add tomato sauce, milk, bay leaves and mushrooms, cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes on a soft boil.
- Serve and garnish with cheese. ENJOY!
Recipe updated on November 25th, 2020 to increase number of tomatoes from 1 to 3. After making this recipe about a dozen times since published date, it was necessary to increase the number of tomatoes for additional liquid.
- Cuisine: Ecuadorian
Keywords: Spaghetti with Chicken, Achiote, Adobo