A Sweet and Tart Crumble Snack Bar with hints of Cardamom and Cinnamon giving all the feels of Wintry Spice using Fresh Cranberries in these Shortbread Bars.
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (158 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) ground cardamom or ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (210 grams) fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons (18 grams) orange zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon (15 grams) orange marmalade or preserve
- 1 3/4 cup (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (73 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 oz (113 grams) white chocolate, chopped
- CRUST: Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil with excess hanging over the sides for easy removal; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until just combined. Add cardamom and gradually add flour 1/2 cup (105 grams) at a time and continue to mix until a soft ball of dough begins to form. Remove dough from the bowl and evenly press onto the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- FILLING: In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, bring cranberries, sugar, 2 tablespoons (12 grams) zest, cornstarch and marmalade to a soft boil. Mash cranberries to help release their juice. Note: Popping of the cranberries can occur and may splash and could burn. When about 75% of the cranberries are broken down, remove from heat and transfer filling onto a shallow plate to thicken as it cools.
- TOPPING: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, zest and salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in melted butter and mix well. Cut through large clumps of butter for a more even crumb. Evenly sprinkle the crumb topping over the cranberry filling covering the entire surface.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Crumb topping should be dry and golden brown in color. Allow to cool in the pan for 1 hour. Cover and place bars in the fridge to cool for another 2 to 4 hours for the shortbread crust to harden. Remove from pan, cut into 9 equal parts.
- In a small bowl, melt white chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals stirring in between each interval until approximately 75% is melted. Continue stirring until the remaining chocolate has melted from the residual heat. Drizzle over the bars and sprinkle with remaining orange zest. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: American