Strawberry Basil Cobbler with Lemon Honey Biscuits is a Fantastic Alternative to Pie and a Much Easier Dessert to Make!
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon (16 grams) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (18 grams) cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (83 grams) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (84 grams) honey
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) lemon zest
- turbinado sugar or any coarse sugar
- FILLING: Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place four 4 in (10-cm) pie plates or one 9 in (23 cm) pie plate over a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse basil until finely chopped. Add granulated sugar and lemon zest, pulse for 30 seconds.
- Combine the basil-sugar mixture, cornstarch and salt in a large mixing bowl; add strawberries. Toss mixture to evenly coat the strawberries. Add lemon juice, mix again. Divide strawberry mixture evenly into each pie plate.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until strawberry mixture begins to bubble.
- BISCUITS: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, honey, butter and lemon zest. NOTE: do not combine the dry and wet ingredients until about 1 minute before strawberries are done baking.
- Once strawberries are done baking, remove from oven and increase temperature to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix until no dry pockets remain. The batter will resemble a sticky dough.
- Evenly divide dough over each pie plate. If using a 9 in (23 cm) pie plate, place each part above the baked strawberries about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) apart from the next biscuit dough. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown and cooked thoroughly. Transfer pie plates to a wire rack and allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Best served warm. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes