- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons rum extract
- 2–4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 13×9-inch baking pan, grease and flour bottom and sides; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat all cake ingredients together until just combined. Pour evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, whish together all filling ingredients; set aside.
- Once cake has slightly cooled but still hot to the touch, pierce the top using a long-tined fork approximately every half-inch apart. See bottom of this post for a visual.
- Pour the 3-milk (tres leches) mixture evenly onto the cake. Loosely cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours or until majority of the tres leches has been absorbed.
- In a large chilled bowl, beat topping ingredients until stiff peaks form.
- Once cake is ready, spread whipped cream over cake and lightly sprinkle with cinnamon. ENJOY!
- Full fat versions of ingredients may be used to substitute any fat-free ingredients found in this recipe.
- Allow cake to cool about 15 minutes before pouring the tres leches onto the cake to prevent curdling of the milks.
- Cuisine: Latin