- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 lemons, zested
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a paper baking cup in each cupcake well; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix egg whites, 1/4 cup buttermilk and lemon zest; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in cake flour, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined.
- Gradually add in egg white mixture. Beat in remaining buttermilk.
- Pour evenly about 3/4 full into baking cups. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix in additional lemon juice one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Frost cupcakes. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Cuisine: American