My job is just too funny. I’m not sure who initiated this but I am thrilled to be a part of the hospital’s week long event of Cupcake Week and today is Day 1.
Some of you may have seen my cover photo from Facebook and Twitter with similar lemon cupcake photos but today I finally got around to posting the entry. After all, I did bring in and share these same cupcakes to work last Thursday so what better time than now to post the recipe 🙂
On a quest to utilize my overstocked pile of lemons, I stumbled across Shugary Sweet’s recipe for lemon cupcakes. As I’m already a cupcake fanatic, I just had to try this for myself and I’m so glad I did.
If you’ve never tried lemon flavored cake or have been turned away because of its overbearing sweetness (most likely intentional to level the lemon flavor), then you may want to reconsider and give this homemade lemon flavor a chance.
These cupcakes were made from all raw ingredients and were so moist you’d confuse it with the boxed version. The lightness of the cake and hint of sweet will leave you shockingly surprised that a simple recipe can be made from home.
I’ve mentioned in the past how I’ve had difficulty trying to find a perfectly moist vanilla cake recipe that will not have the cake’s texture and taste resemble cornbread. I’ve managed to create my own with sugar – free cupcakes recipe but this here takes the cake.
Frosting portion of this recipe last updated on March 27th 2014 to eliminate the cornstarch.Print
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 lemons, zested
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a paper baking cup in each cupcake well; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix egg whites, 1/4 cup buttermilk and lemon zest; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in cake flour, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined.
- Gradually add in egg white mixture. Beat in remaining buttermilk.
- Pour evenly about 3/4 full into baking cups. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix in additional lemon juice one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Frost cupcakes. ENJOY!
- Cuisine: American
Lemon cupcake recipe slightly adapted from Shugary Sweets.