I couldn’t be more excited to share these mini pies today as it’s one of the best dessert-pies I’ve had in a while. I was never a pie type of person, but I sure did sneak another bite or two every chance I could get. I intentionally made this pie with the notion that the name “bourbon” has an older, masculine tone which was perfect for my grandfather’s birthday over the past weekend. And with Thanksgiving around the corner, this also happens to be a great treat after dinner!
The hint of bourbon flavor and chocolate chips makes these mini pecan pies really stand out from the rest. But what gets me even more excited is that this was one of Wes’ favorites; he’s my toughest critic. Oh and did I mention this is the second time I made pie crust from scratch?! So yea, it’s easy as pie! No food processor or fancy equipment necessary. Just flour, salt, shortening, butter and water and really, THAT’S IT! Super simple. For directions on how to make pie crust, click here. Between myself loving this pie, Wes’ approval, and my success at pie crust, this is triple the excitement for me. I look forward in seeing what else I can come up with!Print
Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pies
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 (4-inch) pies 1x
- 1 box of refrigerated pie crust
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375°F. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll chilled pastry on floured surface.
- Place 6 mini pie pans up-side down onto the flattened pastry. Using a knife or toothpick, trace a circle approximately 1/2-inch greater around the diameter of the mini pie pans. Tear out circle. Note: re-rolling pastry may be repeated to fill more pie pans.
- Lightly press pastry flat onto the bottoms and sides of pie pans. Trim any excess pastry from the edge of rim.
- To make crimp edges, place index finger and thumb of less dominant hand onto the edge of pastry that rests on the lip of the pie pan. Using your dominant index finger, press pastry into the two opposing fingers. Come together in a pinch-like motion and continue around the edge of the entire pastry. Repeat for the remaining pies.
- In medium bowl, beat sugar, butter, corn syrup, bourbon and eggs until well blended. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Pour into pastry-lined pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until center is set. Serve warm or chilled. ENJOY!
- Before placing filling, ensure pie crust is cool to the touch. Refrigerate if necessary until crimping of all 6 mini pie crusts have been completed.
- Do not overstretch or poke holes in the bottom of the pastry.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pies recipe slightly adapted from (p. 226) Betty Crocker’s The Big Book of Pies and Tarts ISBN: 978-1-118-43216-7