An enhanced classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Sautéed Mushrooms and Fried Onions!
National Grilled Cheese Month… you have probably heard of it by now and if you haven’t, mark it on your calendar for 2016; it’s the entire month of April. And if you’re anything like me, you wait to last day of the month to share yours. [LOL] Yea, that’s how I roll, procrastinator is my middle name. But you see, in my book, grilled cheese is enjoyed any day of the year. Don’t you agree?
A classic comfort sandwich that leaves you feeling incredibly satiated! It must be that warm oozing cheese melted across that buttered bread. Hey, and the more cheese, the better! To make the classic grilled cheese even more interesting, I added sautéed baby bello mushrooms and fried onions. Yes, fried onions! Something I would have never eaten as a kid. Thank goodness my palate has grown to enjoy new flavors because fried onions gives that extra crisp and added savor with every bite making this sandwich one to never forget!
But here’s the thing, you have to use the right cheese. Think of it like pie. It’s been said, to achieve the best sweet and tart apple pie, use two to three different apples. The same applies for cheese. Now you can get creative and use whichever flavor of cheeses you prefer but I highly recommend Kerrygold™ cheese. And you know, if by now you haven’t tried it yet [hands on hips] what are you waiting for? Definitely worth a trip to your nearest grocery for this!
For two sandwiches, I used a generous amount of each Kerrygold Dubliner and Kerrygold Skellig. Dubliner is a hard, dry cheese with a robust aroma giving a nutty yet slight sweet flavor. Whereas, Skellig is a softer yet firm, creamy-smooth, sweet cheddar cheese. Not be confused with sweet as in sugar but “sweet” as in having apple notes. Lastly, I of course slathered the daylights out of the sliced bread with salted Kerrygold butter.
Oh. My. Goodness. Heaven, I’ll tell ya… heaven. Like, eyes roll back, body swaying left and right as I slowly take in each savory bite, kind of Heaven. If you’re into mushrooms, onions and cheese, this is a must try you are going to love!Print
Mushroom and Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Kerrygold salted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz sliced baby bello mushrooms or 1 pound whole mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices white bread
- 3.5 oz Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- 3.5 oz Kerrygold Skellig cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 cup fried onions
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms when the butter is fully melted and hot. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms become tender or browned. Remove from heat.
- Generously spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Place 2 slices of bread butter-side-down in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Spoon half of the sautéed mushrooms onto each sliced bread. Evenly sprinkle half of both cheeses over the mushrooms. Sprinkle half of the fried onions over the mushrooms. Place the sliced bread set to the side, over the onions butter-side-up. Lightly press the top of the sandwich to close any gaps and cook for 5 minutes or until bottom slices are golden brown.
- Carefully flip sandwiches over and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottom slices are browned and cheese has melted. Remove from heat. Cut in half. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Kerrygold™. All opinions stated within this post is and will always be 100 % my own. Thank you for your support in the brands I use and trust to help me bring to you, new recipes.