Have you guessed much, pink is my favorite color? As well as gray, white and black- the same colors as my blog. Pearls also happens to be one of my favorite pieces of jewelry (other than diamonds, of course!) and oddly enough, I had edible pearls in these same exact colors! I swear, it wasn’t planned.
But what was planned was celebrating my blogiversary with a slice of vegan cake. You probably already know chocolate is my favorite so that was easy but what most people don’t know is that I prefer vegan chocolate cake over a regular cake, ANY day! Believe me when I tell you, I’m no vegan, but this cake is unexpectedly way better than what you may think. I could have picked ANYTHING in the world to celebrate with but this cake… this cake right here is exactly what I wanted.So it wasn’t difficult for me to choose what cake to celebrate my 1st blogiversary with and speaking of 1st blogiversary, I cannot get over that it’s been a year since I published my first post.
ONE FULL YEAR! I’m still in shock I even kept up with this.
Did you know when I first started blogging, I didn’t even know it was called “blogging?” No, really. I didn’t. Maybe one day I’ll tell you my story of how and why I started. For now, I just want to celebrate with this cake.Print
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 6-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add oil, vanilla, vinegar and water and mix all ingredients until just combined. Pour evenly into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine confectioner’s sugar, vegan butter, soy milk and vanilla. Beat together on medium speed using an electric mixer for 2 to 4 minutes or until frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Add food coloring of choice and mix again until color is evenly distributed.
- Frost top and sides of cake. ENJOY!
So without further ado, I want to THANK YOU for following along. I’ve met so many great people and have learned so much within the past year yet there’s still so much more to learn. The most important thing is that with each and every follower, subscriber, comment, like and share, YOU ALL have been my biggest motivation to keep going.
To express my appreciation, I want to thank you with my very 1st GIVEAWAY!
Wilton™ 5-pc Bakeware Set
The giveaway: The first question is your mandatory entry, the rest are all optional however, the more you enter, the greater chance you’ll win. Open to US residents only. Starts at midnight 2/27/2013 and ends at midnight 3/3/2013 (EST time) Good luck! And thank you all so much. Lots of more fun recipes coming up as well as a some more fun giveaways!
Contest is now over. Congratulations to Entrant #41: Risa F! Please await for your email for additional information. Thank you for participating.