Eat your heart out with these sinfully delicious Maple Bourbon Glaze over baked Chocolate Donuts and candied Bacon!
It’s BABY time!
No, not me but a blogging friend of mine is having a baby and a group of us foodies from around the world, including myself, are celebrating this joyous moment with a Virtual Baby Shower. Aww, so cute… right?! Know what makes this even cuter? This baby shower is for a guy! David from Spicedblog is having his 1st baby and it’s a boy. Congrats David!! This is for you and I hope you enjoy it. 🙂
I’ve been seeing more men getting involved with baby showers in recent years and I think this is fantastic. I never understood why it was always a woman’s “thing” back in my day especially if takes two to tango. Feel my drift? So David, you’re on right track. In any case, to even out the baby talk with food, I wanted to create something I felt was a bit more masculine. Fitting for the male counterpart of a baby shower. Plus, I don’t know a single man out there who does not like doughnuts which is why I started from here.
Doesn’t the sound of bacon and bourbon sound wonderful? A little rough on the edge, right? Perfect. Throw this sweet-savory, juicy bacon and a splash of Kentucky bourbon into a glaze poured right on top of the doughnuts. Done.
Oh wait, then there’s a soft side, maple and chocolate. How sweet is this. The tender chocolate doughnut with a scent of sweet maple all sounds like heaven. When combined with the candied bacon and the vanilla notes from the bourbon, a unique contrast in flavors and texture makes these doughnuts worth every bite!
Congratulations David! I can’t wait to see pictures of your baby boy!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Consider rating and commenting below. I love to see your feedback and help answer any questions you may have. And don’t forget to check below for related recipes.Print
Chocolaty rich baked doughnuts with maple bourbon glaze and candied bacon!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound thick cut sliced bacon
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bourbon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil over a large jelly roll pan. Place a wire rack on top; set aside. Note: Be sure to use a pan that is ½ to 1-inch deep to catch the bacon drippings.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, syrup and Kosher salt until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Dip each slice of bacon into the syrup mixture; run your index finger and thumb down over the sliced bacon to remove excess.
- Lay each coated slice on the wire rack and bake for 20 minutes or until desired crispness is achieved. Set candied bacon aside to prepare doughnuts.
- In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips in microwave set on HIGH for 30 seconds, stir. Reheat for an additional 15 seconds or until about 75% of chips have melted, stir until all chips have melted; set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a doughnut baking pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low to medium speed, mix milk, sour cream, egg, butter, vinegar and vanilla until just combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and continue mixing until batter is just combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in cooled melted chocolate until there are no visible streaks in the batter. Spoon batter into each doughnut cavity about one-half to two-thirds full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow doughnuts to rest in pan for 5 minutes before inverting doughnuts over onto a cloth or wire rack for additional cooling. Repeat baking process until the entire doughnut batter is used. Allow doughnuts to cool completely before glazing.
- In a deep bowl, mix powdered sugar, syrup and 2 tablespoons of bourbon until no visible dry pockets remain. Add another tablespoon of bourbon if glaze is too thick or if a stronger taste is desired.
- Dip each doughnut about halfway deep into the glaze or pour glaze over the doughnuts. Shake excess glaze off and rest doughnuts glaze-side-up over a wire rack.
- Insert 2 pieces of candied bacon onto each doughnut.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Doughnuts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate doughnuts, chocolate donuts, maple bacon, maple bourbon, bourbon glaze
David’s Virtual Baby Shower
- Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Hand Pies by American Heritage Cooking
- Chocolate Bacon Toffee by Bakerita
- Pumpkin Beer Soft Pretzels by Baking A Moment
- No Bake Salted Caramel Apple Slice by The Big Man’s World
- Shredded BBQ Chicken Nachos by Blahnik Baker
- Cinnamon Churros by Cook With Manali
- Grilled Brown Butter Burgers with Swiss + Boubon Mushrooms by Cooking for Keeps
- Cider Braised Brisket by Foodness Gracious
- Ham Potato and Corn Chowder by Gather For Bread
- Mini Croques Monsieur Sandwiches by Hip Foodie Mom
- Wolfpack-Style Meatballs by The Iron You
- Maple Sriracha Pulled Pork Mini Pies by Life Made Sweeter
- Vanilla Almond Snowball Cake by Pizzazzerie
- Something Amazing by Real Food By Dad
- Maple Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Donuts by URBAN BAKES
- Vegan White Pizza with Spinach & Basil by Whisk & Shout
Chocolate and Bourbon